Good Riddance... (10)


I want to start this last episode with my 'thank you' speech. My initial plan was to finish this series in three months but because of other major projects contending for my attention, I couldn't meet up with the deadline. Thank you so much for your patience since October 2015, for the encouraging messages and amazing comments from everyone. I want to particularly thank everyone that has consistently dropped comments after each episode, and for my other readers that never fail to comment on facebook and BBM.
I must warn you though. This episode is a bit long, but I can bet you won't drop your device (or whatever it is you're reading with) till you've read the very last word. Let me wrap my speech up here. Enjoy the read!... Faith Tunde-Yara

It might not have been the best of ideas to go see Segun at the office to discuss my break-up plans but it just didn't seem fair to keep forcing the love that I could no longer feel. Segun deserved better, I deserved better, we both deserved to be happy and I was beginning to realize this happiness would not be achievable together.
I rehearsed my lines as I drove slowly towards his office.

"Everything's gonna be alright, everything will be just fine" I kept telling myself.
My phone beeped, It was Demola.

"Hey, how's it going? Seen Feyi yet?"

"Yeah, it's been a good day so far." I replied coldly.

"Anything the matter?" he queried.

"No, nothing, I'm fine. Why do you ask?" 

"You sound dull, that's why." He continued.

I smiled at the thought of Demola's meticulousness. I assured him I was fine, a bit hungry but I had to sort out some things before getting lunch. He suggested we met for lunch at some fine restaurant after my meeting. I hung up and got out of the car. I straightened my dress and patted my hair to adjust it properly. I began dialing Segun's number as I walked up the stairs but he didn't pick. I scanned through the parking lot for his car, to be sure he was in the office.
My heartbeat increased.
I told myself to calm down as I climbed the stairs slowly.

***

"So, I'll see you tomorrow, babe." He smiled, touched her chin and watched the smile forming on her lips widen.

"Yes, your honor. I need to get back to school now. I'm sure my students miss me already" She smiled back.

"I envy you in a way, having a teaching job should be the best thing that can happen to me right now. I get to leave work after 2.00pm, take breaks from work and so on..." Segun continued.

"No, no, no. Teaching is not as easy as it looks. Besides, it's just State schools that guarantee this kind of freedom" They both laughed.

"Anyway, I have to go now." She stood straight from the table she was leaning on and facing Segun, walked to the other side of the table, brought out a small mirror from her bag and a lip gloss. She applied the gloss slowly, matched her lips, adjusted her hair, and began arranging her bag.

"Until the next time we see, start working on how to get me a better job oh. I love those kids but there's more to life than sitting in that class every day." Jessica went on.

"Okay ma." Segun said slowly, he got up from his seat and walked to where Jess was.

"And I think I should stop coming here till we sort out this whole Tola drama." Jessica continued.
"Anything can happen, you know? And I hate drama oh".

"That..." He paused, raised his head up as if to make a mental note of an action plan.
"... hmmnn... that is something we should, No, I should sort out ASAP" Segun said slowly. 
They hugged each other and Jessica made her way to the door.

***
"Hi, I'm here to see Segun..." I spoke softly to the receptionist. She seemed new. Or maybe I was the bad girlfriend that had not come to check up on my boyfriend in a while to notice that a few things had changed in his office. Don't blame me, I'm not just a fan of paying my boyfriend visits in the office.

"Segun who?" she asked nicely.

"Ermm, I'm sorry. Segun Adewumi. He's in the office, right?" I replied.

"Of course. You're welcome. Fifth office to the right, straight down the corridor." She directed.

"Thank you." I smiled back in return, as I made my way to the office I already knew the direction towards.

I saw a lady walk out of his office. She seemed to be checking something on her phone, and was laughing at the same time. I slowed down my pace. Segun's colleague wouldn't come to his office with her bag, except of course they have to go out on an assignment. I started with the self-talk.

Segun stepped out of the office after the lady and waited for her to walk a bit from the door before shutting the door behind him. The lady raised her head but turned to show Segun something on her phone. They both laughed quietly at whatever it was she showed him.
I blinked my eyes to be sure it was the same person I thought I saw I actually saw.
My heart began to race as I walked closer to them.

"Hi Segun." I said softly as I approached him.

"Jess...” I paused.
“… Jess" I found my voice and then tried to stay calm and not assume anything.

I could see the shock on Jessica's face but I told myself I was imagining things. I watched the shock turn into some weird smile. The silence, though for a few seconds, felt like forever.

"Errmmm, Tola, what a surprise." Segun broke the silence and in my mind, I heaved a sigh of relief.

"Yeah. I tried calling but I guess you were still in court. You didn't pick" I spoke on, mentally ignoring Jessica since she had suddenly turned dumb. Jessica was definitely guilty of my assumptions. A million things ran through my head but I just couldn't find the words.

"Yes, I just got back from court not quite long and I..."

"Hi Tola..." Jessica cut in, with a smile.

"I was in the street and decided to..."

"Let me guess, say hi to my boyfriend on my behalf like we agreed, right?" I interrupted her and rolled my eyes.
I couldn't hide my disgust any longer.

"Since when did you start visiting Segun... in the office?" I continued.

“It’s not what…” Jessica started.

"Hey, hey, ladies. Stop!" Segun cut in quietly but firmly too.
“Jessica, I'll call you." That was Jessica's cue to leave. She walked briskly from us, in embarrassment. 

Segun walked away from me to his office. He left the door open and walked in.

I was stunned. Nothing of this nature had ever happened to me, ever. I was embarrassed, pissed, disgusted, felt stupid all at the same time. My mind told me to walk out of the office but my legs followed Segun into the office. I needed to be sure they were both not acting some sort of drama, just to scare me.

I walked in, shut the door quietly behind me and helped myself to a seat. Segun was already seated and was now typing on his laptop.

"Segun..." I said calmly, I brought out my phone from my bag and placed my bag on the second chair beside me. I placed my phone on the table.

"Segun, can we please talk?" I went on.

He raised his right hand from the laptop, to tell me to hold on a bit. He read out some of the words he had typed to cross-check the correctness of the sentence, I guess. 
I just sat calmly and pushed back the tears that were beginning to form in my eyes. Segun pushed his laptop away from his face in order to see me clearly.

"Hi Tola. I'm listening."
It was the coldest tone I had heard Segun ever speak in.

"Is there something you want to tell me? Is there something I should know?" I couldn't find the right words to confirm or debunk everything my mind had been telling for the last 15 minutes.

Segun smiled.
I sighed and waited for him to tell me it was a joke.
He kept smiling for what seemed to be forever. I was becoming uncomfortable. In my mind, I was screaming and shouting and demanding answers but I kept my cool.
I coughed to break the awkward silence and decided to just wait for him to speak.

“You know Tola, you never cease to amaze me.” He started.
I shifted on the seat.

“I’ve done everything I know how to, virtually everything, but you just keep making a fool out of me. All the time, babe. I’m tired.”

“I…” I started.

I couldn’t find the words. I tried to remember the things I had planned on saying before I got to his office. I began beating myself inwardly. This was all my fault. I couldn’t let the tears flow. Not now, not here. Then the mixed feelings started. This was what I wanted, I wanted a break from Segun, but not this way. I felt stupid, then sorry, all at the same time.

“I’m not finished.” He interrupted.
“I think this…” he spread his palms to demonstrate what was left of our relationship
“This is all a joke. And I know you know it. I just want you to tell me exactly where I went wrong in loving you. That’s all” Segun stopped.

I opened my mouth to speak but still couldn’t find the words.
“Was Segun seriously asking me to explain why I treated him the way I did?” I asked myself. I was confused in split seconds. I was the one that deserved an explanation on what Jess was doing at his office, laughing and giggling with my boyfriend.

“I’m listening…” Segun interrupted my thoughts.

“Errmm. I’ll come back to what you said earlier but I just want to ask a simple question”

“Go on…” He said confidently.

It all felt like a court session; like I was being cross-examined.

“Am I right about what I just saw and what I’m thinking? You and Jess?” I said slowly.
My phone rang. Without looking, I ended the call, and waited for Segun to speak.

“I don’t know what you’re thinking, but I bet your thoughts and assumptions are right. You’re always right, remember? And you never stop thinking… Gosh, you… you…” Segun stopped.

My eyes widened, as I followed the movement of his lips. My phone rang again.

“What?!” I screamed at the phone as I picked it up from the table to see who was calling. It was Demola. I pressed the red button and placed the phone back on the table.
It rang yet again. I sighed and rested my back. I was exhausted.

“Pick your call, Tola. Okay? We can wait, we always do. You know what? I think we should see some other time” Segun said. He checked his watch, and began packing some books together.

“I have a briefing to attend in a few. I’ll call you.” Segun stood up from his seat and walked out of the office.

I sat speechless for about a minute before finding the strength to get up from the chair and out of his office. I composed myself as I walked out of the law firm, and got into my car. I started the engine of my car, and this time, I was too weak to stop the tears from flowing. I cried all the way home.

***
Mum was in the sitting room when I walked in with my shoes in one hand and my bag in the other. I managed to say a very weak ‘good evening, mum’.
She dropped the newspaper she was reading on the sofa and raised her head up.

“What’s the matter?” She removed her glasses, and got up from her seat towards me.

“Nothing mum. I’m just tired.” I hastened my steps up the stairs. I couldn’t let mum know I had been crying.

“I need to sleep. I’m fine.” I kept saying as I climbed the stairs even faster.

“You sure?” she asked.

I entered my room without giving my mum an answer, stumbled on my bed, picked my pillow and used it to cover my face as I sobbed.

***
I took a final walk round the space that had now become my boutique and work place. All was set for my launch but something was missing. My best friend was missing. I could still the feel the vacuum. I trusted Jessica with everything I had. Three weeks had rolled by but it still felt like yesterday. I had done everything I could to wipe off the memory, to no avail. I felt bad that it had to end that way between Segun and I, but I was more hurt by the act of betrayal from Jess.
Mum tapped me on the shoulder.

“You’ll do just fine.” She said softly.

I smiled back at her. She was indeed my angel, my life support. Explaining the whole situation to my parents was the most difficult part. I made sure I mentioned the Demola part, and although my mum was a bit skeptical, she suggested I take it slow and make sure he felt the same way about me.
I figured I’ll come plain with my feelings for Demola and hear him confirm my thoughts about him feeling the same way. I just didn’t have the time to set up that meeting because of my preparations for the launch of my boutique.

“Look at this place. It’s such a beauty.” Mum continued.
“You, my daughter, will do just fine.” She reiterated. I understood what she meant. I moved close to my mum and hugged her.

“Mummmyyyyyy….’ Vic’s voice interrupted our mother-daughter session.

“Vicccc…” I was super excited. Guests were beginning to show up, and Vic was the first. I was surprised but happy. I hugged my childhood friend and whispered a ‘thank you’ in her ears before releasing my hold.

Vic walked up to my mum, and tried to kneel and hug her at the same time. Mum laughed as she helped her up and the chatting began.

20 minutes or so later, my new workplace was filled with friends from church, daddy’s workplace and the other few friends I had invited.  
My dad took care of the formal part of the launch, praising me for being so devoted to anything I set out to do. I was all smiles from when Vic stepped in till this moment.

This was all I needed, this warmth and love from friends without strings attached, I thought to myself. The formalities were over in minutes and the eating and mingling began.
Then it occurred to me that I had not seen Demola. I scanned everywhere in search of him but he was nowhere to be found. As I began searching through my call log for his number, his voice caught my attention.
I raised my head and saw Demola entering the building, smiling and waving at Vic. I smiled inwardly and then, outwardly. I began walking towards him since I noticed he wouldn’t leave the doorway.

“Demola… over here.” I beckoned but he didn’t hear me. He was engrossed in whatever it was that was keeping him stuck at the doorway. He looked out again and then looked back in. By this time, I was close to him.

“De-mo-la…” I said slowly.

“Hi, madam CEO” his smile widened and it melted my heart. He hugged me and said
“Congrats, you did it girl.”

“Yes oh… Thanks for coming. I was already thinking you won’t come.” I went on.

“I’m sorry dear. You know how traffic can be. But I should be sincere though. I left home late. Besides, I had to…” Demola went on.

“Hi Tola.” Feyi stepped in, smiled at me and continued.
“This place is beautiful. Wow. Congrats dear” She went on as she surveyed the boutique with her eyes.

“Feyiii… thanks dear. You made it. And your dress is gorgeous” I smiled back at her and we hugged briefly.

“Thanks dear. Yours too” She replied.

“Yes, I was just telling Tola how you delayed us” Demola cut in, smiling ever so wide.

“You were?” I was stunned. I wasn’t sure I had heard rightly.

Feyi laughed and started.

“Don’t mind him oh. He picked me up late.” She kept smiling.

I had to regain consciousness fast, as my brain began to process all the information I was receiving from the guy and lady I was standing with.

“Wait. Demola is the guy?” I forced a smile. I felt my knees wobble. I was running out of air but I had to stay composed and go with the flow.

“Why don’t we leave the entrance?” Demola cut in as he held Feyi’s hand and walked in properly into the boutique.

“Sure. Sure” I replied.

Demola went on to thank me for introducing Feyi to him a while ago, and told me how he decided to wait for the right time to introduce me to her, seeing that I had become his close friend. I did my best to hide my surprise and chatted with Feyi as often as I could all through the party.
We all had fun, laughing, taking pictures, eating and drinking and several times I caught glimpses of my parents smiling at me, looking all proud of their daughter.
In all, I was glad everyone had fun and my business was now fully established.

I excused myself from the crowd with a bottle of wine, to one of the rooms I had carved out of the entire space for my personal office. I was too weak to think or converse with myself.
I poured myself a drink, sat on the rug, brought out my phone and plugged my headphone. I scrolled to my favorite playlist, clicked on my favorite song and sang along with Sam Smith:


This ain’t love, it’s clear to see… but darling, stay with me” 
I kept singing at the top of my voice, as I allowed the tears flow freely down my cheeks.

***THE END***

***Good Riddance by Faith Tunde-Yara
*** Photo credit: www.preventionlane.org

Comments

  1. Amazing...Segun finally became the man I wanted him to be,I hope Tola Ajisafe doesn't see my comments sha...that lady will hunt me down. This story has been undoubtedly epic! #thumbsup Faith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lmao. Tola is coming for you. Lol.
      Thanks for your comments, always. Let's do this again when the next series starts (whenever that is). *wink*

      Delete
  2. Yaaaaay!!! ** #HandsOnTheHead ** De-mo-la! Haba... this ain't fair at all, leading a sister on and then showing up at her event with ur bae??? Chai! Tola my Tola, pele dear. By now I'm sure u'd strongly believe dt a bird at hand is worth 2 in d bush.
    @Teewaieff: Kudos sis. Dt was a nice twist. U beat my assumptions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe. I wonder o. Mr Demola of life.
      Thanks Ore. First comment on the blog. *dancing skelewu*. Thanks for the motivation. I write because of people like you.

      Delete
  3. Yesss!!! Just as i wanted it to end! Didnt want it to be so predictable and surely, the deletable mrs Faith made it so....Pele Tola, i like u bt having u nd Demola wld hv bn too easy and u knw we dont want dat..tnx Teewaieff, i told u u're an exceptional writer didnt I?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe. Thanks dear. You know I'm trying to be like you. Go back to writing oh, or else... (I reserve my comment). Thanks for your comments all through. You spiced up the blog in your little way. Muaah.

      Delete
  4. Oya biko start another one kia kia...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha. You're not nice at all. Let me rest a bit ma. You should post something on your blog too. I'm waiting. *straightface*

      Delete
  5. Ahhh Mr Demola it's not fair O. I'm gonna start a movement #findtolaajisafeabae. Faith please remind me to stay away from friends like Jessica.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lmao. Demola was just being 'a guy'. *picks race before guys here beat me*. Hahaha.
      Busola, thanks for coming out of the closet o. Comment is appreciated. I hope the movement succeeds.

      Delete
  6. Hahaha. I never hexpered hit!!! Nice twist. Happy for Segun nd Jess tho. They both deserve the love they found. Great story teewaieff.Kudos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We never 'hesperredit' either. But these things happen... lol. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. One word.... DOPE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wuraaaaa. Welcome to the blog. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  8. Awwwww kudos dear! Loved it. Next one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yaaaayyyy. Thanks dear. Next one cometh soon. I speak by faith. Lol.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

weTalk! (Thin Lines:1)

Chasing Shadows (Episode 9): Finale

A Couple of Three... Episode 10 (EPISODE FINALE)